Friday, July 02, 2021

Not Even My Closest Friends - sleeve notes – Oozie Bluzey/Glazing Over

That oozie bluzey moment when the ceiling caved in 

That bluzey bluzey moment with a startled grin 

I feel like I’m crying now the moon is bad 

Sitting on the corner watching wallpaper die 

Wallpaper die 

 

That bluzey bluzey moment when you walk past my door 

Quest a world end the nightmare before 

That bluzey bluzey moment what more can I say 

A bluzey bluzey moment when you played it away 

That bluzey bluzey moment when you called in today 

That bluzey oozie bluzey jack-a-oozie jack-a-oozie bluzey 

Jack-a-oozie jack-a-oozie bluzey 

Jack-a-oozie jack-a-oozie bluzey 


That bluzey bluzey moment when the ceiling caved in 

Drunk like a pig on whisky and gin 

That bluzey bluzey moment when you walk past my door 

That bluzey bluzey moment of the nightmare before

 

In another room I make videos, artist moving image videos or whatever this week's term is. The emphasis is often on the sound to image relationship and one particular piece of software I use produces tones in response to shifting forms. One ‘composes’ both sound and image simultaneously. Occasionally though the sound produced offers potential as the basis for a song. Oozie Bluzey uses one such sequence. 

 

I'm not sure why I adopted the stylised blues drawl but that is what came out when I opened my mouth and attempted to sing over it, indeed the vocal line is the first take recorded with the laptops built-in mic. The thin sound and occasionally half formed words seemed to fit the bill and so I left it at that. I sat on the track for a couple of years before adding the synth bass, percussion and guitar parts.



I don’t know why you believe in me 

For I’m no ghost of substance 

Just a see through gossamer man 

No shape no form no feet no hands 

Who slides unseen right down your screen

 

My recent solo albums have all had at least a couple of instrumentals indeed at one time my albums were all instrumentals but for Not Even My Closest Friends it is pretty much songs all the way except for “Glazing Over” which is half-way between the two forms. It contains a reworking of part of the vocal from “Ghost of Substance” but stretched out of shape and mixed in with – well to be honest I can’t quite recall, a montage of various electronic bric-a-brac. The element binding it all together are jazzy chords (probably augmented or some such thing). The synth sound used for the chords was one you would find more often on a deep house or chill out track but here it blends in nicely with the clatter to hopefully give that floating between collapsing stars kind of vibe.   

 

 

No comments: