Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Winner...

In complicity a few weeks back I spoke about how an essential part of the relationship between conjuror and audience was the latter's willingness to not only suspend disbelief but also be complicit in the deception, to turn a blind eye at the sleight of hand.

Yesterday I received one of the many 419-emails offering Lottery millions. Like the emails promising a half share in fortunes locked in a vault in an African bank and just needing someone from the West to claim them this email smelt of scam from the start.  “This program was largely promoted and sponsored by a group of philanthropist, industrialists from the internet ware industry and some other big multinational firms who wish to be anonymous. “ rather gives the game away…and yet I was struck by the complicity urge; you know it’s a con but some part of you wants to engage, wants to believe.

A few years ago I went on an art college trip to Barcelona a few years back. Up and down the main drag local wide boys were doing the cup and ball routine on upturned suitcases. You know the thing, the three cups move around at lightning speed and you bet on the final destination of the ball. As we walked past on the way to the Hotel a couple of the lads on the course laughed at the foolishness of tourists who bet and lost on such nonsense. But you guessed it, a couple of days later the same lads shamefacedly returned to the hotel with one of them having lost best part of £100 on the very same game.


Oh and in case you are wondering 4470…numbers go straight through to Nigeria and Hale Rd is the location for Manchester Airport.


LEEDS PROMOTIONS
Airport Hale Rd Halebarns
Altrincham Cheshire WA15 8XW UK
Batch No: WD18/0065/04RN
Our Ref: UKNL/255457004/04

TO WINNERS IN OUR PROGRAM

We wish to congratulate you over your success in our computer balloting
sweepstake held on 23th October 2005.

This is a millennium scientific computer game in which email addresses were used. It is a promotional program aimed at encouraging internet users; therefore you do not need to buy ticket to enter for the game.
However, your email address was attached to ticket number 034-22478556; with serial number 129 draw the lucky numbers

06 09 13 15 40 43 02

which eventually won the lottery in the first category of the draws. Therefore, you have won a lottery jackpot prize awards of £1,500,000.00 (one million five hundred thousand pounds Sterling Only)This is from total prize money of US$30,000,000.00 distributed to winners from 1st to 3rd categories.

Note that this program was largely promoted and sponsored by a group of philanthropist, industrialists from the internet ware industry and some other big multinational firms who wish to be anonymous.

You may wish to establish contact via e-mail with the particulars presented below citing the batch and reference numbers to this letter. Telephone lines are open between the hours of 8.00am - 7.30pm on Monday through Friday
Customer Service Unit,
Tel/Fax No: +447031902883
Email: ukleedspromo@netscape.net
Contact person: MR STANLEY O'BRIEN.

Our winners are assured of the utmost standards of confidentiality, and press anonymity until the end of proceedings, and beyond where they so desire.

Be further advised to maintain the strictest level of confidentiality until the end of proceedings to circumvent problems associated with fraudulent cliams.
CONGRATULATIONS !
At your disposal, we remain.
Very Truly Yours,
Sharon Cole(Mrs.),

2 comments:

piu piu said...

i get those emails all the time. i just send shitty replies now

can i ask u? what is cinema different ? cud u hop over to my site and tell me more about what u knowplease?

cheers

Anonymous said...

FROM THE DESK OF HONOURABLE SENATOR ABRAHAM ADESANYA


BUSINESS PROPOSAL


Dear Friend,

how are you today 26TH day of October 2005?

My names are Abraham Adesanya. Please this comment should serve as a business proposal.I got your blog address while searching for a business patner. I need to
transfer $15,000,000:00 (FIFTEEN MILLION USD) urgently.I am in the verge of completing the documents
and paper works to transfer this fund and I am currently working through my country's Foreign Exchange commission to clear the charges and taxes associated with these transfers before the money i
released.I intend to invest heavily in real estate and stocks.I am to be the faceless investor while you will
manage my investment and deliver good dividends.

I therefore will like to go into partnership with you on an accout of agreed terms,according to the laws of your country. But I need to transfer this money directly to your account,I hope it is ok by you.

Why we need you to do that is because, since the money
will be transferred to your account, officially, the papers will bear your details as the beneficiary.It’s
important you note this.I must assure you that this is not drug or terrorist money, in fairness to you, it is money from crude oil bunkering, but we need a credible
person to be able to continue in this business.

If its ok with you, could you please reply my email to let me know. I wish to keep my country of origin, my direct contact details and my position in my country's government, a secret until I am sure you are in with me, but be rest assured that you are dealing with a very highly placed person and politician of good
repute in the senate.

You will be required to:

(1)Assist in the transfer of the said sum

(2)Advise on lucrative areas for investment

(3)Assist us in purchase of properties in your country.

If you decide to render your service to us in this regard, 10% of the total sum will be for you.

I await you swift response, have a wonderfull weekend and God bless,


HON. SEN. ABRAHAM ADESANYA