Thursday, October 06, 2005

Unbalanced

Contemporary sound making is obsessed with manipulation. Sounds are variously: distorted, fuzzed, flanged, phased, pitch shifted, EQ’d, echoed, reverbed, ring modulated, filtered, panned split into grains and reassembled, glitched, stretched, morphed, and so on. One wonders what sound did to deserve such treatment(s). All of this has an the air of alchemy about it; as if put through enough processes the base metal of everyday noise will give up its acoustic secrets and be transformed into something new and unexpected.

5 comments:

paul said...

Yea I tried to use In-Balance to set up my Hi-Fi and now only one speaker seems to be working and everything plays at the wrong speed.

ps said...

I'm sorry but we cannot accept responsibility for any damage that may occur to your stereo as a result of listening to In-Balalnce

Tayler said...

I thought this was very beautiful. Quite hypnotic...I forgot that I was listening to something and my mind began to evolve into a different plane of thought.

ps said...

Well the layers of sound do drift in and out, and after a while despite the cacophony it becomes in a peculiar way almost soothing

Tayler said...

I'll be curious to know exactly how you happened to edit the piece...I always find it interesting how people "hear" things....hope you will post more sound pieces. It's nice to be hypnotised.